Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Simple Gifts rhythm

Simple Gifts rhythm 15 years 2 months ago #542

I was practicing the rhythm part for Simple Gifts, and one version i like for playing the chords is the Bass/strum/bass/srum style. Assuming 4/4 time: bass = 1, strum = 2, bass = 3, strum = 4...
I've also practiced the version that Dave frequently uses, incorporating a light brush on the higher-pitched strings on the way up for the next strum. May as well not waste the movement going back up, right? This really adds life to the measure, but is harder because i lose timing easily.
My question: does the upstroke count as a beat, or does it happen so fast that it appears as one in the context of the chord and timing? I guess this sounds like what would be an appropriate strum pattern for this song? Bass/down/up sounds good and adds life to the measure. What do you more seasoned ax players think?
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Simple Gifts rhythm 15 years 2 months ago #558

The time in the measure is fixed. How many strokes you make
breaks up that time. The duration of the stroke will determine
what portion of a "beat" the stroke is. 4/4 time = 4 beats/measure, equally spaced. Let one stroke ring for the entire measure and you have a whole note. Chop or mute the sound to one fourth of the time for the measure and you have a quarter note, etc.
  • sobluetoo
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds