Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Performing with Others Class

The Performing with Others Class 15 years 2 months ago #550

Eventhough I have taken the class since it was first offered, I believe that this last session was one of the best ever. As usual (or almost always!), the class participants are friendly, helpful and fun to practice with before performance. They are a really good bunch. I thank all for their comradery, humor and music.

They are also great to perform with - however, you never know how the performance will go no matter how many times we go over it in practice. That's life, but nobody gets super upset if someone or several screwup during the performance. Generally, we learn from but also laugh at our screwups.

I'm looking forward to the next session, but I wonder what novel
learning techniques Dave will use on us then!
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The Performing with Others Class 15 years 2 months ago #555

It's alot of fun. Certainly better than strumming away by myself in the gameroom @ home...although thats a good stress reliever. I'm learning alot playing with others. Important things like timing and rhythm are becoming clearer the more i play with them. I'm hoping to get some skill imposed on me from the talent that's in the class! I'm just mesmerized by the skill in there. And to tell you the truth, bluegrass wasn't my favorite choice--- I don't have a ton of bluegrass CDs laying around. i prefer blues or rock, but alot of the playing styles transfer over to the other syles of music--bluegrass has alot of hammers, slides, and the tempo can be fast, which lends itself to country and rock playing. I just like the people, and bluegrass music is wholesome and historical. and i just love the sound of a mandolin! Maybe after i get bored with the guitar,(not likely anytime soon) i'll learn the mando.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:The Performing with Others Class 15 years 2 months ago #561

Good Music is Good music. I was brought up on Classical, baroque and renaissance music (original instruments of course). Before the banjo my instrument of choice was the piano and harpsichord.
  • brilind

Re:The Performing with Others Class 15 years 2 months ago #567

Hey Dave2311, you are not the only "transplant", I too am a rocker and I'm slowly learning about bluegrass! Some of the songs I recognize as I come from Louisiana but it really still is very new to me. When Dave first asked me if I liked Bluegrass I thought he was talking about Kentucky, that's how ignorant I was with this genre of music, but it's growing on me....and like you said, it does provide us with fast picking and sliding and those are FUN! And I'm too planning on expanding my instrument selection...fiddle or mandolin...we'll see. ;) but first I MUST master the guitar!
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:The Performing with Others Class 15 years 2 months ago #574

I too thought this last class was one of the best I've been in and am looking forward to another. What a great group of people to be associated with. The music is alot of fun and challenging even though it's not my favorite genre either. But it is certainly growing on me. Like Brian said "good music is good music".
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:The Performing with Others Class 15 years 2 months ago #577

This was my first time with the class and i thought it was great.
The participants are freindly and helpful,and made me feel right at home (no matter how bad i played). It has forced me out of my shell and i feel a little more comfortable in front of people.

I would like to organize a regular jam on another day. Perhaps aat a local park. I want to play more!
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds