Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: GROUP PLAYING!

GROUP PLAYING! 10 years 1 month ago #7536

I find that the best way to "get better" is to play with others. Playing with better players makes me try harder and I push myself more and playing with others not as "advanced" makes me slow down which allows me to "correct" bad habits. When we play in small groups in our Bluegrass Class I get more out of that than practicing alone. It's very hard for me at times to play a tune at a slower speed but it actually helps me play it better in the long run. :blush:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

GROUP PLAYING! 10 years 1 month ago #7547

Indeed, there is a lot to be said about playing with others. I've heard players play well alone, and then totally blow it when playing with others. Timing is a lot more critical. I guess that's really the issue, proper timing. Playing by yourself doesn't lend too well to working the whole timing thing. I've found that playing to rhythm tracks or your own loop recording can help a lot.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

GROUP PLAYING! 10 years 3 weeks ago #7572

Of course! That's music the way it should be. That's half the reason for playing (for me at least): to make music and share it with others.
I have to agree with you the the practicing element of it, though. You can get all of the backing tracks and play-along recordings in the world, but not one of them can stand in for the real thing.
It's interesting, though: in Lighthouse Suzuki Strings, I'm considered and "advanced player," whereas in orchestra, I'm considered a "weaker player" (keeping in mind that most of the people in the strings section have been playing for up to four times longer than I've been alive). It's a lot of fun to get to go to orchestra and play with such great musicians. But what helps me improve my tone and musicianship the most? Helping in the little orchestra. Learning to teach is no easy lesson. And, what's more, you have to get it right so that the others can have something to work with (an experienced player can ignore a bad back-up or stick it out through a shaky lead, whereas a newer musician would quickly get lost).
As for playing slower, I have to agree. That's just one facet of my tumultuous relationship with my metronome: I have to start slow. And learn slow. And review slow.
I intend to go back and try it with Orange Blossom Special. I'll let you know how it ends up.
  • God bless the USA!
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Proud to be an American! God Bless the USA!!!
The Land of the free. The home of the brave.

Leviticus 25:10 \"...proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all of the inhabitants thereof...\"

..¸•*¨¯¨*•¸....¸•*¨¯¨*•¸God Bless
((....*•-•*¸*¸•*•-•*...))America
..*•.,¸_¸,.•´*.¸_¸,.•´Land that I love......
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds