Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: strings for playing slide guitar

strings for playing slide guitar 13 years 7 months ago #3799

I'm thinking of setting up a guitar for playing with a metal slide. Do I use standard strings, or are there special stings to reduce the metal to metal scratching sound?:unsure:
  • oscar
  • Junior Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:strings for playing slide guitar 13 years 7 months ago #3852

Talked to the great folks at First Qaulity Music about which strings I should use for playing "Slide Guitar" to reduce the metal scratching sound. Jeff commented that it sounds like I was using phosphor bronze strings and that was possibly causing the metal scratching sound, so Jeff recommended using Resonator Guitar nickel wound strings. When they arrive this week I put them on and give you all the feed back.B)
  • oscar
  • Junior Boarder

Re:strings for playing slide guitar 13 years 7 months ago #3857

Greetings, I just recently began using Martin Bluegrass strings on my Dobro. They are nickle wound and packaged as "resonator guitar strings" so I am not sure how they will sit on a guitar.

I use 13's on my guitars, Martin SP phosphor bronze. The only difference between the two, SP & Bluegrass, aside from nickel vs bronze, is the size of the strings. The sizes are as follows so you can compare:

SP / Bluegrass
E-1st .013 / .016
B-2nd .017 / .018
G-3rd .026 / .026
D-4th .036 / .036
A-5th .045 / .046
E-6th .056 / .056

You can see the difference in string gauge so now you just need to ask yourself if too much tension is going to be placed on the neck and bridge of your guitar if strung with Bluegrass. It will raise the action which will require a truss rod adjustment which might be radical if you are using light strings like 10's or 11's.

They sound fantastic on my Dobro, however, in my own humble opinion I would NOT use them on a guitar.

Just my 2 cents. I hope this is of some value to you.

John
  • rudy481
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:strings for playing slide guitar 13 years 6 months ago #3886

Hey Rudy481, Thanks for your thoughts on the strings for a slide guitar. These are the strings that Jeff at FIRST Quality recommended, I use mediums .013-.056 on all my guitars so I put the medium nickle bluegrass strings on this resonated guitar. The screeching metal sound was reduced and I noticed the sound a little softer when I finger pick but with picks it sounds good. Know just have to work on technique. Thanks againB)
  • oscar
  • Junior Boarder

Re:strings for playing slide guitar 13 years 6 months ago #3893

Oops,:blush: I thought I ordered medium strings but went to the recycle bin and discovered I put on the standard NICKEL WOUND strings .016-.056. I have the guitar tuned to DADDAG tuning so I don't think these strings will put to much stress on the neck.
  • oscar
  • Junior Boarder

Re:strings for playing slide guitar 13 years 6 months ago #3894

There you go, Oscar. Thats great and I'm sure they will work nicely on your guitar, especially tuned down.
  • rudy481
  • Fresh Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds