Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hit A Plateau

Hit A Plateau 14 years 9 months ago #1395

I think I've hit a plateau again. It's not the first time but, never the less, it still kind of sucks (maybe this should have been posted in "neurotic whinning"). Day after day it all sounds the same. Well I guess I don't play everyday, but is sure would be nice to hear a little more improvement. I thought about not playing for a while but that seems too drastic and more like punishment. In fact I think I'll go play some now. What do you do?
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
Last Edit: 14 years 9 months ago by espian. Reason: How did that emoticon get in there?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Hit A Plateau 14 years 9 months ago #1396

I know the feeling. The easy way out is to just lay off, so I decided to get more involved and started taking privet lessons.
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Hit A Plateau 14 years 9 months ago #1397

I think screendude's idea is the best. I think we all get to a place where we can't go anywhere on our own, and need some "one on one" coaching from a more experienced player. I think the best thing about hitting a plateau is that you know better now what you want, where in the beginning, you just wanted to "learn to play", which is a pretty wide request with no real goal. I'm at the place now where i could benefit from some private lessons also. Lets face it, books and self study will only take you so far, after that, your left with a big "?". Also, i believe we teach ourselves bad habits that can be filtered out by an instructor, which will get us above those plateaus easier.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Hit A Plateau 14 years 9 months ago #1398

The issue of hitting a plateau is an important one. I will be writing a blog soon on this topic and will encourage you to participate by providing comments.

FYI .. the biggest mistake you can make is stop playing for awhile. Those who learn how to overcome a plateau or rut can become successful musicians. A rut is common and everyone goes through this at one time or another.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:Hit A Plateau 14 years 9 months ago #1399

I usually try to work on something new.
This week I practiced with the dreaded metronome. Or the evil M.Knome.
It is not my friend.
It keeps changing time in the middle of songs.
Does this happen to anyone else?
  • deafstrum
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Hit A Plateau 14 years 9 months ago #1400

I bought a mandolin when I got into a rut with my guitar...now I'm overwhelmed...not enough time to practice both....When I'm practicing the guitar I feel guilty that I'm not practicing the mandolin, when I'm with the mandolin I feel guilty I'm not with the guitar...get the picture???? and let's not bring in the piano.... :ohmy: but I'm not in a rut anymore..... :blink: just confused!
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds