Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Practice in different places

Re:Practice in different places 13 years 10 months ago #3208

Ya know...I mostly practice in the same room (mandolin not beer)...I am going to start practicing all over the place...I bet it helps a lot with learning how to not let distractions cause you to go blank in the middle of the song.
Now...drinking Guiness...that does help your mind to go blank, no matter where you practice.
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Practice in different places 13 years 10 months ago #3291

I escaped to the back screened porch to practice tonight because my sons and their friends were practicing in the den. Loud electric guitars playing really horrid (to me) sounding metal rock. Even the dog came with me tonight!! Quite a contrast to acoustic bluegrass, Beatles, CSN, etc. that I practice.

They're done, finally, I can come back in.....no Guiness, but I did take a Sam Adams out with me...
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Last Edit: 13 years 10 months ago by edbird.

Re:Practice in different places 13 years 10 months ago #3292

I used to practice exclusively in the same spot (the "music corner" of my home office), but recently began moving around - sometimes practicing outside on my patio, or on the couch with the game on (and sound off). I realized that practicing in the same spot had me in a rut. Switching it up has definitely pulled me out of my rut and re-energized me.

Re:Practice in different places 13 years 10 months ago #3307

One other reason I decided to pick up guitar learning is because you can practice anywhere you like, unlike the piano. I’ve been using the entire house including the patio and garage and every room gives me a different sound rebound off the environment I’m in. I still need to make it over to my neighbor (Zak) and practice there, don’t think he will mind.
  • TonyM
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Practice in different places 13 years 10 months ago #3317

I hope this image comes through... It is the window I practice in front of......while in Chicago!
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder
Last Edit: 13 years 10 months ago by mompodell. Reason: image did not come through

Re:Practice in different places 13 years 9 months ago #3359

When I was a dorm counseler at my university I had a freshman that took up practicing in one of the four communal bathrooms. The accoustics were great, and he would practice country/western with his guitar plus singing for hours each day, and was really sounding great! Couldn't get him to class, however, so he flunked out, lost his deferment, got drafted, went to Vietnam, never heard from him again. There may be a moral to this little story, but I can't quite put my finger on it, however, I did start studying more myself. Seriously, I may take this playing in different places technique on myself and see if I can get some benefit too.
  • Hogpaws
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds