Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Don't under estimate practice

Don't under estimate practice 13 years 10 months ago #3270

It is blatantly clear that i haven't practiced much at all. The reasons are varied, being tired or busy come to mind, i think i've given much attention to the little square box with the talking people in it while at home. The point is, songs i new relatively well and got bored with have simply left my memory for lack of practice. It's amazing how perishable certain skills are if not repeated over and over. If you don't practice, it's 3 steps forward,and 2 steps back. Kepp the perishable skill alive with practice.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Don't under estimate practice 13 years 10 months ago #3272

Join the club - time is definitely picking up speed

btw - are there slow versions of the leads for guitar for ALL the songs that the bluegrass group does? I sure would like a SLOW lead for 'traveler, cripple creek, dark hollow, john hardy, hammer, old joe clark and soldier's joy --

didn't find them on the cd's and didn't see them on the web site...

the slow versions are great for learning - once you at least have the notes, you can work on speed

tks!
  • jayboca
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Don't under estimate practice 13 years 10 months ago #3273

get a slow-downer program online. there are several threads about this on this forum! they work well!
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Don't under estimate practice 13 years 10 months ago #3276

I have a friend who is an attorney active in civic volunteer projects and hobbies. When asked how he has the time his answer is, NO TELEVISION !!!!!!!!! TV is the enemy.
  • brilind

Re:Don't under estimate practice 13 years 10 months ago #3277

i took Fretmentor's advice from the very beginning and bought myself a stand for my "Marty". Each time I go by the living room, it's "looking" at me so I pick it up and play even if it's just for a few minutes. I've continued this practice with my "Mandy" and now "Lil Red" and "Manjo" so it's not a chore to get "ready" to practice...I just pick up whichever one is calling me the loudest and go to it....I also leave the piano "opened" so that I can mess with it too. I found that leaving the instruments in their cases, as when I go to Louisiana, makes for very poor practicing. Guess I don't hear them calling me...:P
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Don't under estimate practice 13 years 10 months ago #3293

My wife mentioned that she wanted to maybe set up a "music room" upstairs that we could put all our instruments in (guitar for me, uke for her and keyboard for both). Our keyboard has been in a closet ever since we moved to this house because we have not found a place we can agree to put it; this would have solved that problem. I thought the idea of a music room was a great idea until I realized that since my guitar is now in the living room where I am most of the time, I end up practicing much more than if it were in a separate room upstairs, where I would have to think about going. Now, I think we ought to turn the living room into a music room and move the TV upstairs. Needless to say, we're still "negotiating." ;)
Last Edit: 13 years 10 months ago by lspencerini. Reason: typo
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds