Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Practice recording/viewing?

Practice recording/viewing? 14 years 1 month ago #2643

What do you use when you practice to record yourself? Do you use just sound? I have been looking for a good recorder for doing my practice. Am looking at Zoom H2...anybody have experience with it...what do you think, plus and minus???

Most of the good devices like the Zoom, are pretty pricy...by the time you get extra memory cards, battery chargers etc. likely to be $250-$300.
For that $$ you can look at one of the new small HD video recorders...such as Flip Ultra HD; Kodak Zi8, or creative Vado. All those units run $250 range but again add memory chips, chargers etc and the price is getting out of my comfort zone.
Do you see a lot of value in the VIDEO...much better to see, as well as hear yourself?

Appreciate your thoughts.B)
  • adjohns3
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Practice recording/viewing? 13 years 6 months ago #3969

I have no idea what those things are that you described. Why not start w/ whatever you have? Audio, video, whatever and listen or watch then react to your feelings.:huh: ...could be helpfull insite. Actually, the more I think about it, I'd go with audio. That's what matters first. What to buy?... I dunno:side:
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Last Edit: 13 years 6 months ago by george.

Re:Practice recording/viewing? 13 years 6 months ago #3974

I have an Edirol digital recorder. Made by Roland. I love it. The newest version has a wireless remote. That would be handy to have.
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Practice recording/viewing? 13 years 6 months ago #3981

Edbird, you're a seriously cool dude...always take'n th backseat but, hav'n the upfront latest... anyone got a washboard?
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Practice recording/viewing? 13 years 6 months ago #3989

adjohns: The Edirol is an audio digital recorder. It uses SD cards. The Flip and similars have a built in drive which, if you record in HD, have limited capacity- you have to dump the stuff regularly or it fills up, like a TIVO. The SD based recorders, you just keep a few SD cards around and change them out if one gets full. The new SD cards have pretty high capacity so it takes quite a bit of audio to fill one up.

I use my Edirol to record my lessons, workshops, etc and live practices when I play bass or guitar. The audio quality is amazing. You could make bootleg recordings with it, it's so good.

If you're just using it to record your practice audio is all you need. It's amazing how different you sound on recording from how you THINK you sound when you are playing. All the little flaws and timing errors are more noticable on playback, and it is useful for self-improvement. And also can be a real reality check, unfortunately...

PS- I think the Zoom you are talking about is essentially the same thing. There are lots of similar models, I think they are all suitable for the task.
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Last Edit: 13 years 6 months ago by edbird.

Re:Practice recording/viewing? 13 years 6 months ago #3992

I actually use my I-phone's app. to record me....quick and easy to erase :P which is what I usually want to do rather quickly....:blush:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Last Edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Tigerpaws. Reason: wrong word
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds