Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Get Excited!

Get Excited! 13 years 11 months ago #2894

Nows the time for us all to get a little stricter on our practices. Develop a good habit of working on a skill. Work on a scale before every practice maybe. Before we know it the holidays will be knocking again and I feel our group getting better this week! I really messed up my lead last class though.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Get Excited! 13 years 11 months ago #2910

It's amazing how much scale work improves playing ability. After skipping scale practice for awhile, the Fretmentor threw some scale work in my lesson. What a revelation! I will not skip scale practice again.
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Get Excited! 13 years 11 months ago #2917

The same thing has happened to me a couple of times. Now I try to use the scales as a warm-up before launching into any songs. Maybe start with just the major scale once on each string - then a few reps of the box scales - then the G C and D scales - forward and backward - then pentatonic scales. I've found that it really helps my flat-picking, since a lot of the leads in songs are just portions of those same scales. So the scales help build repetitition that helps the leads.

Re:Get Excited! 13 years 11 months ago #2920

I am also practicing the scales in the box method, no problem going foward, but going backwards, yes its a problem, always playing in the wrong fret. No problem going backwards with the first scale, but a problem with the second and third scale.
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Get Excited! 13 years 11 months ago #2923

Yeah that gets me too. But ain't it a blast in the right direction? I always thought play'n scales was boring but, it's an excercise that reaps results! I've played the G scale in the first and second position for 3 mos. and am finally feeling the results. Without that consistancy of sticking with it, I wouldn't benefit through it's finger excercise lessons. Playing the right notes becomes second nature. My performing is yet to be desired but, it sure is showing in my practice habits.

P.S. Playing scales backwards will always be artful. Don't fret over it's difficulty.:)
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Get Excited! 13 years 11 months ago #2927

I'm convinced practicing the scales and committing them to memory is very helpful, if not one key to understanding the fretboard. The other is understanding the root positions in all the keys. Also helpful is learning and practicing them by number rather than by the note's alphabetical name. Say to yourself as you play the scale. "1, 3, 5, 1, 4, 7" etc. since chord construction is based on this. You can have alot of fun by developing simple melody lines for tunes by experimenting with the notes in the scale. It's alot of fun.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds