Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mandolin Picks

Mandolin Picks 14 years 9 months ago #1340

I've been using guitar picks since I started playing mandolin but Doug C. in class said why wasn't I using a mandolin pick. I didn't really know there was such an animal. I see couple on first quality. They are really thick 1.0 and 1.5's and Doug mentioned a Dawg pick.

I kind of like a thin .5 guitar pick when I'm chopping. It's lets me strum very fast and its quiet enough not to be too obnoxious. On the other hand, I like a hard 1.0 when I play lead so that it can be heard across the room. I was going to try putting the pick I wasn't using in my mouth and switching back and forth. This assumes that I'm not doing a vocal but then again I could let it hang off my lip like a toothpick when I'm singing.

Maybe I could start a line of flavored guitar and mandolin picks.
  • axelhead
  • Senior Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Mandolin Picks 14 years 9 months ago #1341

Gerry, you could sew a pick bandoleer in your strap, then all you have to do is reach over and grab one. Of course, you have to be fast so you don't break rhythm. When you're ready to cut loose on a lead, toss the soft pick to your adoring fans in the crowd, an arm yourself with the thicker pick.
Or you could simply epoxy or plastic weld 2 picks back to back, then all you have to do is a quick flip to get the right pick for the right style of playing. A seamless pick swap! I'll bet you don't even break rhythm doing the swap! (Gerry, we could patent this!)
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Mandolin Picks 14 years 9 months ago #1343

Obviously you don't suffer from Larry's and Keith's ailment of "drooling uncontrollably" while playing....:laugh: Don't think too many people would want that pick..... I bought some Dawg picks when I got "Mandy" and I tried them for a while....I'm back to my medium pointy "Saints" pick...like the feel much much better....so here we go again...different people, different tastes... I'll bring you a Dawg pick class after next.....won't be there this week, going to the fish camp in Bay St. Louis.... happy 4th!
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Mandolin Picks 14 years 9 months ago #1352

Good luck! I never catch anything but a sunburn when i go fishing. As for me, i'll be at Peanut Island the 5th making sure people don't mix their love for alcohol with their love of boating.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Mandolin Picks 14 years 8 months ago #1355

I don't really fish, my family does....I go jet skiing and swimming....I just wait till they come back from their deep sea fishing with sunburns...and sometimes even fish :)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder

Re:Mandolin Picks 14 years 8 months ago #1375

I'm not sure whether to reply to the topic on picks, or drooling, or fishing, or sunburning...they are all so stimulating! :=)
But what I can say is that when I first started taking lessons from David, he recommended that I try the mandolin pick because they are thicker and rounded on the edge so that they roll off the strings more easily. I ordered a pack from 1st Quality. The pick seemed to make my mando have a richer tone than with the thinner guitar pick. Gerry said it made his louder...but his mando is a superior model to mine...so I interpreted my sound as richer..heh heh. The pick seemed to help me play a little better, but I am a beginner...and Gerry has been playing the guitar for 40 years and is one of our best mando players...he really strums well....so he already has his technique down.....don't want to risk sounding too picky... so see ya tonite :dry:
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds