Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Performing With Others

Performing With Others 15 years 3 months ago #486

As I get to know more of the people in our class, I've become convienced that others may suffer from the same problems that I have.

Sometimes I can play music at home, by myself, to my satisfaction. But when I come to class, and even in our practice groups, my abilities fall away to at least 50%. Then when we perform for the entire class, I play at maybe 30%, or like last week, considerably worse. My fingers are all jerky, and I can't find the strings with my pick; I look at my hands and wonder what I should be doing with them. My legs get all neverous and restless and I get totally distracted by the other players, or sometimes the audiance. I have had times when I was so intense that I forget to breathe and I got lightheaded. I hate to admit this but I have even been known to drool on my guitar on more than one occasion. I have come to the conclusion that I am having panic attacks, or if not an attack, at least a skirmish.

I was watching other players in class last night, and I believe I recognized some similar symptoms in other people.

I envey some of the other players in class that are so steady in their playing, like Sam, Silvia, and Claire, who don't seem to be bothered by anything. They just keep getting better and better.

Maybe we should band togehter and go for some group theopy or something, at least share our problems. I think I'm getting better. I have been working on remedies, and control, and breathing, and it has helped. I know that valium and cold medicine, especially when used together :woohoo: works, but that's only a bandaid, and I need a cure. I know it makes me feel better when other people have the same problems I do. And it really makes me feel better when other people have problems that I don't,:P so sharing could be a beautiful thing.

I would love to hear from you if you share any of these problems. Maybe we could work on them together, for all our good, and besides I could use some new guitar polish.

Larry
  • lrobe50776
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Performing With Others 15 years 3 months ago #493

Larry, Larry, Larry, as I tell Dave....I'm like a DUCK, calm to the naked eye but paddling like crazy underneath the water where you can't see it. I'm a nervous wreck too when I have to go in front of the class and I too sound much better when I play and no one hears me....give me an audience and everything goes out the window. My "calmness" comes as a result of having taught 8th graders for 35 years and controlling myself so I wouldn't end up in prison (actually I liked them) but since I couldn't let them see me losing control I became a master at "showing control" even when I didn't have it.
It's funny though because I think you play great and you look calm to me so you are hiding it more than you think! Keep Plucking!;) Silvia
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Performing With Others 15 years 3 months ago #496

Lary, if you were watching me attempt Wildwood Flower at class you would know that I fall into the "choked at class" catagory too. I've played the song several times at home where it's at least recognizable but that performance really stunk. I though I was getting over being nervous but I guess not. I do think it's just in my head. We just have to keep at it. I can only hope the more we gut up there and play the better we'll get. Being able to play with and in front of our peers as well as I do at home is probably the biggest thing I'm trying to get out of this class. Well, right after having a good time that is. I guess that puts me in the "appreciates the opportunity to be in this class" catagory too. Silvia is right... you always look pretty calm up there and always do a great job!
Keep Pickin'
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Performing With Others 15 years 3 months ago #502

the older I get the more it seems that eveything I do, which requires skill, is all the same. The perfectly placed fly to a fish, the well executed pitch shot on a thin lie or the confidently played performance.

We have met the enemy and it is us.

I can't help feeling after class that generally the experience was mortifying even though everyone is accepting and non judgemental, the pressure should be low and I should try to enjoy it more. Over time hopefully it will get easier. I think that playing slow may be key to keeping the pressure down. Also, I will try to enjoy the moment and not look forward to the experience ending as soon as possible. Anyone for trancendental meditation?
  • brilind

Re:Performing With Others 15 years 2 months ago #557

Yep! While not playing "well" in the practice room
at least you could tell what I was trying to play.
In front of class, one thing goes wrong and I go
into convulsions with my hands and brain. For me,
I'm too much in my head and not enough in the music,
if that makes sense. I've been told to just relax, feel the music
and have fun and let the music come out instead of making it come out. Easy for them to say!
Practice, practice, practice. Joe
  • sobluetoo
  • Fresh Boarder

Drooling and Drool remover 15 years 2 months ago #565

Larry and others --

I just wanted to relieve your concern. It is perfectly acceptable jamming protocol to drool on ones guitar or mandolin. I do it quite often, especially if I am really concentrating or getting into a song. Once you are over the age of 30, the drooling comes naturally even though it is humiliating.

I think that it is more difficult to drool on a fiddle because of how its held and drool will eventually remove the nickel plate from most banjo metal parts so banjoist have to be more careful.

Anyhow, I am posting this to improve my chances of winning the guitar cleaner in class on Wednesday night to clean the drool from my mandolin. Does First Quality offer a Drool cleaner and santitizer?
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds