Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: OFF KEY!!!!

OFF KEY!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3117

At the Bluegrass Class last Wednesday our group would've gotten a better rating IF we had been in tune! Oscar thought it was him....I was certain it wasn NOT me as I had just tuned my guitar....Well guess what...IT WAS ME!!! I learned in my lesson Thursday that the Tuner can be set up wrong.....The A should be 440 and mine somehow was 445 so all my notes were sharp.....I can make mistakes in areas that I don't even know exist!!! :ohmy: I also learned that it's best to leave the tuner on the guitar (it better not scratch my Marty) while I play so I can make adjustments as required...and as we differ so much in the temperature we like to maintain the room where we play ....it's probably a good idea. Live and learn...wonder what next Wednesday has in store for me :woohoo: .
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:OFF KEY!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3119

Tigerpaws, i could hear the different strum pattern over everything else. An eighth note swing pattern doesn't mix well with traditional bluegrass bass/chunk. If everyone else is swinging it, it may have sounded better, but then we aren't playing bluegrass anymore. I think this is more critical with more than 2 guitar players, making sure everyone plays the same strum pattern, otherwise the tune sounds kinda funky.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:OFF KEY!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3122

I had to get a different tuner because the one I had was so easy to bump in to a wrong setting that it drove me crazy. I was so impressed with Jens the way he just changed the tuning on his banjo without any aides. I would like to be more proficient at that.
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:OFF KEY!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3128

Screendude, when you play as much as they do, i would imagine that stuff becomes pretty automatic. To a lesser degree, you can tell when your strings go flat. They've been playing 40 years, their ears are sensitive to intonation.
If the Lord allows me to live long enough to play 40 years, i'll be in my 80's, then i'll be too deaf to care!
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:OFF KEY!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3130

I left the tuner on my guitar for quite some time, and when I took it off it left a stain exactly where I have kept it and I cannot get it off. The stain is in the middle of the name on the quitar. So now I do not leave the tuner on the guitar.
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder

Re:OFF KEY!!!! 13 years 11 months ago #3131

Bummer! The clip-on tuners should only be used to tune your instrument and then remove it and place it in your instrument case or in your rear pants pocket; otherwise you will get that ole tuner decal marking on your instrument's headstock. :S
  • SDSU Aztec
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds