Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rather than just let it die...

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3943

Tigerpaws is a good name for you. I love your enthusiasm! I may have gotten a little sidetracted (how do you spell that?) on the counting... just love to play... still think we started on 3.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3947

The only thing I think would be helpfull would be to write down the name of the song, and the chord chart so we could write them in our notebooks this way we could find the song later and play along with it at home. But I agree with not leaving it up on the board, this will force us to hear the key and follow the chord changes. I like what Dave said, that no one is writing the chords on a tree at the bluegrass jams.

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3948

A couple of suggestions for what they're worth. First, Dave goes through calling out the cords for each song about a bazzillion times when we first start playing it. If you were going to copy them from the board if he had put them up in the first place, why not just get out your notepad and jot them down the very first or second time he goes through it - you use very little time and now it's on paper, then pick up your whatever and start playing with everybody else.

Second, I totally disagree that going through "simple" issues like the proper counting technique for starting a song is wasted time. Been here for a couple of years, and the real problems that many of us have encountered with counting a cadence and then playing a completely different cadence were very much front and center last week and the week before. Even if you personally don't make a mistake in this area, think of all the times a song your group has to play is put off right from the start because someone else hasn't gotten the hang of it, so it does affect your own playing.

Last, I hear people other than myself wishing Fretmentor would state the name of the song in the pre-class jam BEFORE we start learning the cords. A couple of us try to ask the question before getting too far into it, but for some reason he is against doing so. To me it's quite backwards, because the whole time we're learning cords, we should be associating them with a song title to better commit to memory.

So FRETMENTOR, please give us a reason that this will help us play better (keeping the song title a secret until the end of play), or otherwise, let us know the song before we play so that maybe even some of us can start trying to recall the cords from memory. Thanks
  • Hogpaws
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Last Edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Hogpaws.

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3953

Well, I just got into the Forum in hopes of posting at least one post, so as to avoid the “Mystery Song”. Wow, what a lively discussion we have
My reluctantly offered two cents is:
I have no problem with trying on new ideas. There is never just one “right way” to teach/learn/do something. If you want to suggest a change, or add something to the format, and Fretmentor invites discussion on it while in class, which he occasionally does, then discuss it in class…good things may come from it. There are too many ideas though, good and bad, to be able to incorporate every idea into a 2 hour format. If your idea is not used, let it go. You can also bring it up with FM after class or during a private lesson. That way we are not interrupting somebody else’s classroom experience. If FM disagrees, just let it go. We need someone to direct the class and “nobody” can make “everybody” happy.
This class is still the best thing going in the state of Florida for what we are trying to do. We need each other collectively to keep it going and everybody’s contribution adds a different color to a very colorful fun group.
Having said that:
1) I support Kmando and Hogpaws re writing the song name on the board.
2) I support FM re not writing the melody/rhythem on the board. Some of the songs we are playing are songs FM has offered to us to purchase. It would not be fair to copy them in class and not purchase them from FM. The purchase price is not unreasonable. It helps keep FM’s business model viable….and iIf we don’t support that, then we could wind up without a class.
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3956

Just a reminder that the class is from 7:45-9:00....the "jam" is a freebie Fretmentor gives us! :)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3967

Hogpaws, what's a "cord"?? :evil:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds