Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rather than just let it die...

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #4016

What I mean by the count is when you count 1,2,3,4, isn't that quarter notes you're counting? So it's played [C chord]: 1[C note] &[strum], 2[G note] &[strum], 3[C note] &[strum], 4[G note] &[strum]. The &'s are merely the eighth notes included mentally as a rythmn count because the strums are the &'s. I count the same as any one else(1234) but the value of that count is quarter notes meaning the strums are played on the and(&)of that count. The last lime I heard a classmate count, I silently kept that count in my head after he began and the band came in on 3 (twice). To me there were two more beats before the band should've come in. But I will take a backseat to this and follow the band :)... geetar?... I need a hat
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Last Edit: 13 years 6 months ago by george.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #4026

I think that if the count you're envisioning is quarter notes, you don't have space to inject eighth notes inbetween - in 4/4 time don't 4 quarter notes fill a measure? Maybe a question for FM. And I'm hurt, being accused of mispelling - when I wrote "cords", weren't we talking about tires?
  • Hogpaws
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #4031

Notes can be broken down infinitely. For example: A whole note (full measure) consists of 2 half notes or, 4 quarter notes or, 8 eighth notes or, 16 sixteenth notes or, 32 thirty second notes or, 64 sixty fourth notes or, 128 one hundred and twenty eighth notes ect. In our counting, we place a value on that count. I thought it was in quarter notes. A good example: 1 measure of quarter notes in 4/4 time are counted as 1,2,3,4. 1 measure of eighth notes is counted as 1&2&3&4&. 1 measure of 16th notes is counted as 1e and a 2e and a 3e and a 4e and a. The quarter note still gets the beat of the count. When we strum a guitar, I generally think of that rythmn as 1 strum 2 strum 3 strum 4 strum therefore, the subliminal count is 1&2&3&4& but we simply count 1234 with the & in rythmn. It's a mute point point really. Just play and have fun. That's what we do best.:)
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Last Edit: 13 years 6 months ago by george.

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 5 months ago #4388

I'm catching onto the sequences quicker since the instructor has been giving us the numerical sequence of chords. It seems easier to understand them the second time around. A simple 1-4-5 song can be played in any key but, a G-C-D song is that only. So for me to get that takes more concentration. A 1-4-5 is so simple that it can easily be interpreted ie; G-C-D, A-D-E, B-E-F#, C-F-G, D-G-A, E-A-B, and F-Bb-C. They are all 1-4-5 progressions! 7 different keys:blink: , 1 set of numbers:) Give me the numbers and I most likely will catch on quicker:silly:
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 5 months ago #4451

WOW That has one heck of a topic. Are they all this long now? It's going to take me forever to get caught up! Seriously though, I agree.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 5 months ago #4506

I'm gonna start watch'n Hogpaws cause he always gets it right. I'll just copy him!
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds