Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rather than just let it die...

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3920

I agree with John (rudy 481) and Andrew. The first part of the class is optional, for one thing. I think that we should respect FM's wishes as to the format for the "free" first half hour. And he wants to play stuff we don't know to train our ears and our minds to follow chord progressions and song structures. I think it's a great training exercise. So everyone please stop griping about it and just do it.

I miss chord changes like everyone else but then I just try harder to figure them out and "hear" them coming at me. When I play bass with a band and they play a song I don't really know too well, I have to do that on the fly. When I screw up on a chord change in class no one hears it. When I make a mistake on bass EVERYONE knows it. But I try my best and on most songs the progressions are not incredibly difficult to figure out after a couple of times through (this doesn't work for jazz, so I stay away from people who play that....-))

We need to play more and talk less. And stop wasting class time. And listen to the instructor.
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3923

I think that the "optional" preclass jam or whatever we want to call it, is great. My only grip (if you want to call it a grip)is that I have a need to relate the music to a song title. I'm sure this is quite evident since I am usually the person asking the FM the name of the song afterwards. It would be very benefical to me to know the name of the song before its demonstrated (played) in the jam. I rest my case! (mandolin case that is).
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3928

Thanks for the supportive comments regarding my idea. I do think it will work, however, the final decision will be made by Dave which I personally will support regardless of how I feel.
This leads to the other thing I have noticed as a new member. There is way too much opposition to Dave's method. He is the "conductor" and needs to be followed or the result, as we have seen big time in the last class, is chaos and a total waste of time. It seems that the majority of members agree.
My opinion is that there is a definite method to Dave's madness, if you will. I have only been to two classes and it is as clear as day that Dave can teach every one of us something. So let him do it.
Rather than trying to change the system, our time would be much better spent following his direction.
We are all there to learn, regardless of our experience level and all this interference is detracting from that goal.
If someone is in such dire need of personal attention, I would recommend private lessons because the group is not structured for that.
I'm having fun and can only imagine how much more fun it will be if there is no down time for bickering. It really stops the creative flow.
And on a final note, yeah I paid up and want to learn so buck up.

Thanks very much for the opportunity to post my opinion.
John
  • rudy481
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3931

I wouldn't mind seeing the chords up on the board if only for a few minutes so they could be copied and then played at home.I can never seem to remember all of the song structure the next day and would like to work on some of these songs during practice sessions.
  • timgivens
  • Senior Boarder

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3934

This is a very healthy topic. Those in class that detract from our lesson and create attention for seeming selfish purposes should be given extra homework. I agree with rudy481 about FM having to focus on any individual during class too...again, down time. Never-the-less, I'll be there. I don't want to detract from class nor create attention but, I think too much time is spent on simple stuff like, counting beats or, playing like you mean it... shouldn't we do that naturally... come on man
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Rather than just let it die... 13 years 6 months ago #3937

George George George....you are saying this "tongue in cheek"...right??? For many, "the simple stuff" is not simple yet.....and the counting and playing like we mean it doesn't always come naturally.....hey, you were getting the counting intro wrong last time :evil: so have pity on those of us that are still trying to "play like we mean it"! Still, I enjoy your enthusiasm....but let up on the chords on the board.....it ain't going to happen.....I too tried!!!!
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds